Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Libertarian Humanism

Highnumber came up with this idea, as usual - all good ideas come from him. I guess the goal is to have a humanist view of libertarianism. With skepticism thrown in. One problem I have with your libertarian is that often times the individual is ignored for the sake of the "free market". The "let the market decide" can have outcomes that are not good for individuals.

For me, gay marriage is an example. Now, leaving aside the "state shouldn't be involved" (in terms of taxes), it is involved. If two adults are in a long-term, committed, loving relationship, they should be able to have the same rights and privileges as any other pair, regardless of orientation.

Many libertarians would argue "let the states decide". I have a problem with that - why? The marriage doesn't hurt anyone, is non coercive, and, as it is currently sanctioned by the state, should be available to all. Else we have a majority-decided granting of a right, which is a non-libertarian response.

hmmm.

1 comment:

Brian Jones said...

I once gave a presentation to my local AHA chapter (humanists) titled, "In defense of libertarian humanism."

My presentation basically started by pointing out that the Humanist Manifesto III contains the guiding principles of humanism which promote the betterment of humankind without relying upon spirituality.

I then pointed out that this manifesto does not indicate that the goals of humanism should be accomplished by employing the government.

Since one of the objectives of humanism is to seek greater morality, it would seem to me, the non-interventionism of libertarianism which dictates minimal government is morally superior to solutions that involve the non-consensual force of government.